Упражнение 1. Раскройте скобки, поставив глаголы в фоpму Past Continuous.
- While I ___________ (to copy) the exercise, my friends __________ (to describe) a picture.
- When we came in, the children __________ (to clean) their desks.
- We met her at the bus stop. She ___________ (to wait) for the bus.
- Some of the children ________ (to ski) while other children ___________ (to skate). Everybody __________ (to have) a lot of fun.
- When we came the family ________ (to get) everything ready for Christmas. Bob and Helen _________ (to decorate) the Christmas tree.
- The girls _________ (to feed) the birds in the garden while the boys _______ (to make) a bird-house.
Упражнение 2. Прочитайте текст, переведите. Подчеркните глаголы в форме Past Continuous. Ответьте на вопрос:
Who broke the window ?
At 7 o’clock the match started on TV, so Dad was still watching it at 7.30. Mum was sitting in the kitchen. She was quietly reading a woman’s magazine. Rosie was trying on her Mum’s clothes in her room. Nick’s cousins were listening to rock music. It was very loud so they didn’t hear the crash. At 7.30 the dogs were lying in front of the fire and they were sleeping. Nick went into the garden with his friend to play football. So at 7.30 he was still there.
Упражнение 3. Допишите предложения по содержанию текста предыдущего упражнения, используя глаголы в Past Continuous.
1. When someone broke the window Dad _________________
2. When Mum heard the crash she ___________________
3. The cousins didn’t hear the noise because they ____________________
4. The dogs when the noise woke them up. ______________
5. At 7.30 Nick ________________
Упражнение 4. Дайте краткие и полные ответы на вопросы в Past Continuous.
Were you going to the cinema at 7 o’clock?
—Yes, I was. I was going to the cinema.
— No, I wasn’t. I wasn’t going to the cinema.
- Were you having dinner at 2 o’clock?
- Was your friend sitting in the yard when you saw him?
- Was your mother cooking when you came home?
- Was your sister reading when you called her?
- Were the children sitting at their desks when you entered the classroom?
- Were the little children running along the corridor when the lesson began?
- Were you doing your homework at 7 o’clock last night?
- Was your father working in the garden when you asked him to dinner?
Упражнение 5. Задайте вопросы к предложениям, используя слова и фразы в скобках. Ответьте на вопросы.
After the lesson Victor was explaining the new rule, (to you)
— Was Victor explaining the new rule to you?
— Yes, he was. He was explaining the new rule to me.
The children were decorating their classroom. (when)
— When were they decorating the classroom?
— They were decorating it after the lessons.
- When I went into the yard, the boys were playing, (football)
- When we were playing, Bob was shouting. (loudly)
- I met Victor in the street. He was running quickly, (where)
- The weather was fine, the sun was shining, (all day)
- Nick was watching his little sister in the garden. (why)
- His sister was helping him to pack his things when I came, (what things)
- They were cooking dinner at that time, (with whom)
- I was waiting for him at 3 o’clock yesterday. (where)
- He was looking for something when I came in. (what)
- They were laughing when I entered the classroom. (why)
Упражнение 6. Спросите друзей, что они делали прошлой субботой в 10 часов утра. Используйте следующие слова и выражения:
To watch, to listen to, to carry, to look at, to wait for, to explain something to somebody, to work, to sit, to play.
Упражнение 7. Вставьте подходящие по смыслу глаголы в форме Past Continuous.
play swim feed sleep laugh
Yesterday we went to the zoo and saw there a lot of animals. First we went to see the white bears. They __________. Then we went to the cage with monkeys. There were a lot of children in front of the cage. They ___________ because a monkey in the the cage ____________. After that we went to see the elephant. There was a man there. He ____________the elephant. But we ___________ see much of the lions. They _______________.
Упражнение 8. Из имеющихся слов составьте вопросы к готовым ответам. Все вопросы должны быть в Past Continuous.
1. Where | the white bears | swimming | were ?
— In the swimming pool.
2. It | was | raining ?
— Oh, no. It wasn’t. The sun was shining brightly.
3. The elephant | what | eating | was ?
— Some grass and fruit.
4. What | was | playing with | the monkey ?
— With a small ball.
5. Were | how many lions | sleeping in the cage?
— Both of them.
Упражнение 9. Дополните вопросы и ответы глаголами в Past Continuous.
— Mr. Rambler , what _______ you ______ (do) at 6.30 ?
— Oh, I ____________ (read) at that time in my room.
— Were you? _____________ you really ___________ (read)? What __________ you ________ (read) at that time?
— A book.
— Did your friends see you then?
— No, they didn’t. They _______________ (watch TV).
— What ________ they ____________ (watch)?
— Some film. But why?
— Some people saw a man who ___________ (try) to kill an elephant at that time. We think it was you.
Упражнение 10. Составьте вопросы в Past Continuous. Используйте вопросительные слова в скобках.
1. Were you watching TV at 11 o’clock last night? (when)
2. We were speaking about books at the lesson. (what, where)
3. After school they were practising a new game. (alternative)
4. When I came, Nick was cleaning his room, (what)
5. He was returning to his camp with a pail of water. (where?)
Past Simple or Past Continuous
Упражнение 1. Выберите Past Simple или Past Continuous
- The film was rubbish, so we left / were leaving the cinema and went / were going to the cybercafé.
- I didn’t like / wasn’t liking the program we watched / were watching, so I turned / was turning off the TV.
- Dave rang / was ringing me while I did / was doing my homework.
- As I fell / was falling asleep, I heard/was hearing a strange noise.
- I dropped / was dropping my keys while I ran / was running for the bus.
- The competition judges didn’t know / weren’t knowing whose food they tasted / were tasting.
Упражнение 2. Выберите Past Simple или Past Continuous
|Decide / get / give / go / happen / not hurt / play / try / want|
Last weekend Ben and I visited that new leisure center that everyone is talking about. We 1) ___________ to the ice-skating rink first. Ben slipped a few times while he 2) ___________ to do acrobatic tricks, but luckily he 3) ___________ himself. After that, we went to the main hall to see what 4) __________ there. On one side of the hall a rock band 5) __________ while on the other side some skateboarders 6) ____________ a display. The Skateboarders were fantastic so we 7) ___________ to stay and watch them.
After the exhibition, we both 8) __________ to go to the shops inside the center. But it was nearly rush hour and the shops 9) ___________ really crowded so we 10) ____________ to the multiplex cinema to see The Illusionist. What a fantastic film!
Упражнение 3. Найдите пару — начало (1-7) продолжение (a-g). Выберите Past Simple или Past Continuous
|1. He ___________ (climb) down the side of a building 2. The sun _________ (shine) brightly 3. The hot water tank _________ (explode) 4. When we _________ (get) to the concert 5. I _________ (not know) that my friends 6. While you _________ (lie) on the beach 7. Last year, Simon _________ (give up) painting||a) while I __________ (have) a shower. b) the band ___________ (play) my favourite song. c) when suddenly the rope _________ (break). d) and __________ (take up) sculpture instead. e) ___________ (prepare) a surprise party for me. f) when I __________ (get up) this morning. g) we ___________ (study) for our exams!|
Упражнение 4. Вставьте Past Simple или Past Continuous
- An amazing display of traditional-style canoes ____ last week in Portland (to open).
- Last month, we ________ the most amazing opportunity to head down to Nashville (to have).
- These ladies__________ an apartment when they ____ both _______ English in Jakarta, Indonesia (to share, to teach).
- Last year we________ too tired even to make quality home design (to be).
- While the tourists __________ at the beach, animators __________ coffee in the bar (to dance, to have).
- Last time there ________ a snowfall in November in 2016 (to be).
- A Qatari sheikh ________ more than £1billion on his art collection last year (to spend).
- The hot-blooded and furious Tybalt ________ a grudge against Romeo (to bear).
- While we __________ to a dive site we __________ the advantages of Utila, the smallest and most unspoiled of the Bay Islands of Honduras (to boat, to discuss).
- In the late 1600s, the British ________ all non-English ships from trading with colonies (to forbid).
- We ________ busy building our new country house that year (to be).
- Our friend’s dog __________ us as we__________ around the neighborhood (to follow, to walk).
- The student __________ up the escalator while it __________ (to run, to move).
Ответы к упражнениям.
1 — Left / went, 2 — didn’t like / were watching / turned, 3 – rang / was doing, 4 — was falling / heard, 5-dropped / was running, 6 — didn’t know / were tasting
Exercise 2. 1.went 2.was trying 3.didn’t hurt 4.was happening 5.was playing 6.were giving 7.decided 8.wanted 9.were getting 10.went
1C — was climbing, broke
2G — was shining, got up
3A — exploded, was having
4B – got, was/were playing
5E – didn’t know, were preparing
6G – were lying, were studying
7D – gave up, took up
1 opened, 2 had, 3 were sharing / were teaching, 4 were, 5 were dancing / were having, 6 was, 7 spent, 8 bore, 9 were boating / were discussing, 10 forbade, 11 were, 12 was following /were walking, 13 was running / was moving
Уведомление: The Past Continuous Tense | ivanovalidia.ru